Staff or Project Scientist/Biologist
Padre’s Bakersfield office is currently accepting applications for a Staff/Project Biologist to assist with an ongoing remediation/abandonment project. Primary responsibilities include conducting biological pre-activity field surveys for sensitive plant and wildlife species at various locations on a weekly basis, data interpretation, and preparing associated survey reports per client specifications.
General Description of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Bakersfield Senior Project Manager/Biologist, the Staff/Project Scientist/Biologist will participate in weekly field surveys and preparation of technical reports for ongoing abandonment/remediation projects.
Duties of Position
- The position is based out of the Bakersfield, CA., office, but would predominately occur in Kern, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, and Kings Counties; however, potential for travel to other areas of California may be necessary.
- The typical work schedule would range from Monday to Friday, up to 40 hours (overtime hours as available). Occasional weekend work or nighttime work may also be necessary.
- A company truck will be assigned for field work.
- Conducting approximately 20-50 assessment/pre-activity biological surveys in Kern River, Midway-Sunset, McKittrick, Lost Hills, Coalinga, and San Ardo oilfields per week.
- Using data entry programs and other program tools.
- Monitoring of construction crews as needed.
- Mapping abandonment sites including location, project footprint, project buffer, and site access using Google Earth and ArcGIS.
- Writing reports for previously conducted pre-activity surveys.
- Field attire will be required on all surveys. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required on most surveys: FR clothing, safety vests, hardhats, safety glasses, snake gaiters, H2S monitor, and steel-toed boots. Required PPE will either be provided or reimbursed.
- Potential hazards include, but not limited to, rattlesnakes, tripping hazards, oilfield activities, high temperatures, insects, fencing, and uneven terrain.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in one of the biological sciences; experience with California native wildlife and plants (especially the Central Valley).
- Have strong analytical writing, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Able to efficiently work alone or with a team.
- Able to work in both the office and field.
- Interested in pursuing professional growth in a growing midsized consulting firm.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and provide a DMV printout of your driving record (online record ok).
- Must have reliable transportation to and from the Bakersfield office.
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of employment.
- Employment is conditional on successfully passing a required drug screening.
- Position is subject to a background check.
- Ranging from $25.00 to $34.00/hour (depending on experience)